Friday, January 29, 2010

Dan's Marathon Race Report


(Dan Boucher wrote this race report for us after finishing his first marathon. That's quite the acomplisment and all of the Pikes Peak Triathlon Club is proud of him for hanging tough when things got ugly!)

Dan’s first marathon, January 17, 2010; PF Changs Phoenix AZ.

It started in Sept 2009, when I decided to do my first IM in 2010. Thus I thought I should train hard for an entire year, and train for a marathon during the winter months to get into shape. Found a nice flat course in AZ, signed up, and decided to get some professional assistance. Found and excellent coach, Cami Stock. After three months of some excellent instructions of weight training, swimming, and of course running; I felt ready and anxious to "ROCK AZ". The motto of the marathon. Tired of the long runs in bitter cold temps, I was ready for warmer weather. If you never heard of the Rock N Roll series, its a bunch of running races with bands along the course. Usually every mile a band with aid stations. Kinda cool.

I traveled down Phoenix with my girlfriend, Dawn. Only a 3.5 hr delay from DIA, but it sure beats driving 12+ hours! Nice early morning prerace run, and then Saturdays expo was HUGE! 30K halfers, almost 8K marathoners, and 150 Ultra! We grabbed some samples and then some pasta at Oregano's! Very yummy. A good nights sleep in a hole of a hotel,, it was cheap! Up early, as usual, all race prep's worked and I felt wicked excited and READY. Wore my throw away sweats, but didn’t need them; It was 48 degrees at 630am. A goodbye kiss to Dawn and I off I went. Actually saw McCain at the starting line.

My goal was sub 4hr. I was determined and on pace the first 14 miles. Legs where strong and a ton of oxygen filled my lungs. Meet some ladies from phoenix, Nebraska, a group of ultra's from KC. Dawn meet me at mile 12 for some gatorade bottle swaps. I couldn’t believe how many people relied on the water stations for EVERYTHING! I was happy I carried two bottles. They served CytoMax on course, which I saw many people puke up later! Tons of support from a ton of people watching us.

My story then turns tragic. Mile 18, yes the wall. Lower back cramps, right forearm numb, hip flexor shooting pains down my leg, ARGH I was hurting. Later on, I found out I went out to fast. Disappointed and dejected I walked run walk run for the last 10K. The longest 10K of my life!!! Watching the pacers go by was the hard part. I guess I was lucky, I did witness allot of major cramping, sickness, and hurt issues. Slowest 8 miles EVER!!! I crossed the line at 4:38. NO i didn’t beat Oprah's time!!!!

For my first marathon, my PR isn’t too high! I had the perfect settings, weather, training lack of experience got me YET again. Another lesson learned for my highly anticipated Ironman. IMFL Nov 7th 2010, Panama City FL.

Thanks to my super awesome coach Cami, Buzz, and Saturday morning group at Woodman/I25. AND thanks to my wicked great girlfriend, DAWN, for all her support too. I also appreciate the encouraging words prior and post race from all in the PPTC! I will definitely do it again, and faster next time!!

Time to setup the swim and bike training!

~Dan Boucher, marathoner!

No comments:

Post a Comment